1. Dr.Greenthumb

Dr.Greenthumb Member

I've recently started to like plants and things so I got a cactus and some living stones at a green house! They are really cool! While I was in the green house I saw a neat looking plant and it had a seed pod that feel on the ground. I picked it up and found out that it is a Datura. I saw that someone on here took some pics and I for sure have a pod of it! They look pretty so I'm wondering how to grow it. I just have the green spiny seed pod and was wondering if I should plant now or let it dry???... I really don't know much about plants!

So if someone on here knows a lot about plants and can give me some guidance that would be great!

Ken

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

They are fairly easy to start from seeds, you'll need the heat to be at least 70, moist but not soggy soil.
    They like sun, rich soil, and frequent watering.

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You may want to further research the toxic effects of datura as these may influence where you grow it. If you enter "datura" in the search section of this site I am pretty sure you will find other posts about it.
    Margaret

4. Dr.Greenthumb

Dr.Greenthumb Member

Thanks for reply both of you! I will continue to do reading on Daturas (I don't do anything without knowing enough about what I'm doing). Carol, thanks for info on the temp, soil, sun ect. My main question for now is I have the green spiny pod. Do I wait until it is dried out? It must have fallen off of the plant and I just then picked it up. I just don't know if I should put it in dirt now or do I wait for the pod to dry and split open? One site I read said that you wait for the pod to split and then collect it from the plant. Either way I have it sitting on my desk and I won't do anything until I know exactly what to do.

So if you can let me know that small detail it would be much appreceated!

Ken