Lumpy brown growth on rose?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Lulu, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Lulu

Lulu Member

I found this rose growing at the side of my property. The branches were about 15' long. It looks like a rose to me, perhaps it is wild? It doesn't have thorns. But I digress... it has these brown lumpy growths on the stems, and where the flowers or "hips" would be (see attached). I cut most of the plant down but I am wondering if this is something that could spread to my hybrid roses? Anyone know what this alien is?

Thanks in advance,
    Lulu in Langley, BC

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

This brownish growth indicates the presence of Diplolepis rosae (mossyrose gall wasp). In Britain, the galls are known as robin's pincushions.

John Parkinson's 1640 herbal, Theatrum Botanicum: The Theater of Plants, or, An Herbal of a Large Extent tells us that "The Brier ball, Bedegar or Robin's pincushion is often used being made into powder and drunk to break the stone and to ease and help the collicke. Some appoint it to be burnt and then taken for the same purpose. In the middle of the balles are found certaine white worms which being dried and made into powder and some of it drunk, is found by long experience of many to kill and drive forth the wormes of the belly."

There is little evidence that the galls actually harm the roses in any way.

3. Lulu

Lulu Member

Thanks for the fascinating reply! I'm glad to hear it's not a disease after all.

Cheers,
    Lulu in Langley, BC

4. northstar

northstar Member

I have the same plant growing in the middle of six acres of forest and brush.
    Could not figure it out at all.
    Looks like rose bush as well, with these big gawdy masses
    no flowers or anything, just these little nests of sorts.
    Interesting information