North Exposure, indoor plant suggestions

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by mark4155, Jun 5, 2007.

1. mark4155

mark4155 Member

I'm looking at increasing the plants in my apartment. I have a north facing suite, 8th floor, that gets bright indirect light, but can be quite dark during heavy clouds.

We have a zoo! Parrots, spiders, frogs, and a gecko so our apartment is at about 23-26 degrees C all year round, and up to 25-27 on hot summer days. It can feel fairly dry, but I'm not certain what the actual humidity is.

I already have a Ficus tree that's doing quite well and would like to add another (but I want a bushier variety, no long trunk).

I would also like to have a wandering jew. But the last time I tried that it died horribly (I think that place was too bright though). And I'm looking at having a climbing vine on lattice on the wall. I'm thinking of going for something easy like a Philodendron vine. I would like something flowering, but doubt that's a good idea with the lack of light.

Are these suitable choices? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. mark4155

mark4155 Member

Just to note the plants that I have and had in my place.

The fig I have right now is a weeping fig.Although very slow growing, it's only lost leaves during its spring shed (so far maybe 20-30 this year - but it's always growing new leaves).

I have a Zamioculus Zamiofolia is doing okay, but not growing any new spears since we moved to Vancouver, it's flowered 2x in the last 2 years though.

Coffee plant, doing a lot better since I re-potted it, but the leaves brown easily.

Pathos, growing like crazy, surprise surprise! I'm okay having more than one if it's suggested.

I have a spider plant that is stunted because of the pot size, but it's pretty healthy (the frogs are enjoying it now - so it's good to stay small).

I had a couple of sago palms that did well, but I gave them up since they were taking more room then I could spare.

I had a rubber tree that grew quite slow, and lost a lot of bottom leaves.

I also had a Norfolk pine that was doing alright, but I don't really like enough to have another one.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

It sounds first off like you need a humidifier in there, but be sure whatever you use is compatible with all your critters. It also sounds like you do need more light, not less (wandering jew business, and shedding fig). There are SO many terrific plants out there, it's hard to say what would work - do your animals have access to any of the plants (I'm thinking of possible toxicities)? Marantas (Prayer Plant) are good in lower light, so is Aspidistra if you can find it, and ferns of course, but again check your humidity as it can really make a difference (tho' spraying a couple of times daily won't... you need either proper humidity trays or a room machine).

4. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

I'm not big on house plants, but I'm really enjoying the company of an Aglaonema, Aglo Silver Queen. I water it only every few weeks, setting it in the bathtub under the shower. I give each leaf a wipe before returning the plant to its display spot, in the corner of the stair landing. Beautiful marbled foliage is its claim to fame. I first saw the plant in a dim room at the office.