Identification: Interesting-looking plant - Identification requested

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Browncoat, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Browncoat

Browncoat Member

Greetings,

I received this plant from a friend who grew it from a seed. He stated that it is native to Sweden, but does not know its name or care requirements. I've kept it in my living room window for 18 months and it has been thriving. I water it about once per week, depending on how dry the soil gets.

A few months ago, it began producing small black seeds, about 2 mm in diameter. Just on a lark, I popped one into a small pot and within a week it had sprouted. The seedling is now two months old and also appears to be thriving.

I'm curious about what this plant might be and how I should be taking care of it and the new seedling.

Looking forward to any information or advice that you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Browncoat

Browncoat Member

Thanks for the information, Chris. It is very much appreciated!

Hey, I'm just reporting what he said. It's not my fault that he failed geography! ;-)

4. Browncoat

Browncoat Member

Okay, I just phoned my friend to let him know the name of the plant and to point him towards the PlantFiles webpage. He says thanks for the info. :-)

I also asked him about where this Sweden business came from. Apparently, I misunderstood what he originally said to me. He didn't say that the plant was native to Sweden; he actually said that he retrieved the seeds from a Euphorbia leuconeura during a trip he made to Sweden a few years ago. Apparently, they are a popular houseplant over there.