Identification: Dracaena type identification and how to propagate

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by barkerja05, May 31, 2007.

1. barkerja05

barkerja05 Member

I recently fell in love with all species of the Dracaena plant. I bought one at my local Horrocks store but the most they knew of the plant is that yes they had it, and the 2 types they had on hand were just labeled as palms, so they could not tell me exactly what plant I had chosen. I have done a lot of looking online and the best I can come up with is it is either a Draco, or marginata, (which I believe are the same thing?) or something different that I cannot find. As you can see in the pictures, the trunks are pretty thick and not wavy, and the leaves have no other color in them but green. I thought the marginata had yellow or red around the leaves. There is also another that looks similar and it says it has gray streaks running down the leaves, but my plant does not have those either. I would like to have a few different types of these beautiful plants, but I will have to start with knowing the type that I have!:) Thanks a lot everyone!

2. barkerja05

barkerja05 Member

opps, forgot the pictures:)

Attached Files:

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Yucca guatemalensis (syn. Y. elephantipes), Spineless Yucca.

4. barkerja05

barkerja05 Member

I know it is a Dracaena, the plant people did know that much and it was labeled as such as well. I know people make mistakes but I do not believe it is likely in this case. I just do not know what type it is.

5. barkerja05

barkerja05 Member

Humm, I am beginning to see your point about the spineless Yucca. It does look a lot like it. If thats the case I guess I need to return it:( I have a very low light apartment and it seems they need lots of light.

6. barkerja05

barkerja05 Member

Okay...I feel like I am talking to myself, but the thing that does not seem to fit with this being a Yucca is that it does not have a "swollen" bottom to the trunk, and my plant has shoots coming off the side of the plant and not the top, and it has 2 to 3 of these shoots per "tree". Any ideas? I would really like to keep this plant because it was a gift from my husband before he left for Iraq, but if it turns out to be a yucca I do not have the light to keep it alive.

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Definitely a Yucca, It won't have a swollen base unless
    grown in the ground it a much hotter climate than you have.
    Any reason you can't keep it on a sunny porch or patio for the Summer
    and in a brightly lit window in Winter?
    Regards
    Chris

8. David R

David R Member

Looks like Yucca elephantipes to me

9. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have one of these yuccas, was givin to us when we got the house, but the leaves arent sticking up, and arent stiff, they droop down like a dreceana ( dotn worry i knwo it is a Yucca guatemalensis (syn. Y. elephantipes)). It is in a south facing window, but it is a type of stained glass. Should i put it in a brighter window, or even better place it outside in our prarie sun?

10. discarn8

discarn8 Member

Re: Dracaena {Yucca} type identification and how to propagate

We have the exact same plant and have been searching high and low for the secret identity of it as we bought ours without having even a simple label on it - thank you to all who posted a reply and for barkerja05 for posting the question :D

Also: We have ours in a relatively well lit area [on a stand by the window] but it is by no means FULLY lit at all times - maybe 6-10 hours out of the day and it seems to be doing VERY well.