Jasmine (orange?) problem.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Yamabushi, May 31, 2007.

1. Yamabushi

Yamabushi Member

Hello.
    I have had a jasmine tree for about 6 months which I think is called orange jasmine (Murraya-paniculata) which recently developed some problems - it began dropping leaves quickly. Many people here posted questions regarding similar problems, but not the same. The leaves of my tree fall off while still green or even dry out while still green. Mostly they are adult leaves, but occasionally young ones as well. Some branches are already bare.

During winter time the tree was healthy and blooming, but now something has happened to it. Could it be the lack of light? It stands to the side of a east facing window and during winter it stood right in front of it. Is it possible that this could make such a big difference. There are no vents in the vicinity and we don't use air conditioner. I water it twice a week because the soil dries out very quickly.

Also, I have noticed a large number of small, brown centipedes in the soil as well as some small, fat, white crawling bugs.

Today, I moved out to the east facing balcony hoping that this will help.

Or is there a different reason why the leaves would fall off while still green? Please, help me if you can before this nice tree dies.

Thank you

Bart Z.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

centipedes won't hurt anything. They eat other bugs... I guess those white crawly ones. Is there any chance of getting a pic of those?

Leaf drop is normally a result of stress. In homes it is most often too much water/bad drainage. Are you letting the pot sit in water by any chance?

3. Yamabushi

Yamabushi Member

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of those white, crawling bugs to take a picture. Perhaps, it was only one that I saw.

As for the water, the saucer is always dry, even after watering, so there is no chance of the pot sitting in water. And the soil is pretty loose, and so I think that the drainage is OK.

Bart Z.

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Is there are draft? Very hot, very cold? Like I said, leaf-drop could be a sign of a million stresses.

5. Yamabushi

Yamabushi Member

Thank you for your help.

Well, the draft could have been the problem. The plant was right in front of a balcony door and a slightly opened window. I moved it outside to the balcony and hope that it will get better there and then move it back inside in the fall.

Would it be a good idea to repot such a big plant?

Thank you,

Bart Z.