Ficus bonsai - trunk (air root ?) discoloration

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by cgarnier, May 21, 2007.

1. cgarnier

cgarnier Member

Hello folks,

Please refer to attached picture (It's my first post ever - so I hope the image attached correctly.

I purchased this ficus bonsai at Wal-Mart (I know... not the best place for Bonsai... but you know what happens to impulse buyers :)... It looks to me like the "trunk" is actually a very short stub at the top, supported by 3 roots turned trunk. In the attached image, you'll see the the "root" at the right is kind of shrivelled & a darker brown. When I purchased it, the largest on (left) was all the light color, but is now showing signs of browning as well... I'm wondering if it's headed for the same fate as the shrivelled brown one. I first noticed it after I top-watered it once & just assumed it was the water "seeping" up the trunk, but it's progressed despite me setting the pot in a tray of water to "bottom water".

There are new leaves sprouting at the end of each branch, so it seems to be doing well that way, but I'm wondering if it's false hope.

Any suggestions or comments?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It looks like your ficus has a case of rot. Very common and potentially fatal. It is caused by too much water in combination with too little air around the roots. First you need to pop those glued-on rocks off. This will help the soil dry out faster. They are there to help the grower ship and sell plants, not for your tree's health.

From now on, it is best to wait until 1/2 the soil is dry then top water really well. Then let it dry again before watering. Just stick your finger in the soil to see how dry it is. Right now, as far as water is concerned, "less is more".

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Michael

3. cgarnier

cgarnier Member

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply... looks like you're west-coast early-bird!
    The rocks & moss have been popped off! Thanks for the tip!

Mike