dry environment not good for coffee plants?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by innergarden, May 19, 2007.

1. innergarden

innergarden Member

So far what I am assuming is a coffee plant (don't know how to tell the difference between that and a fig plant) is in my very warm apartment, it doesn't seem to be growing much in the past 10 months since I've had it. Although it does bounce back on the two occasions that I've forgotten to water it and the leaves have all drooped. What does it like the most?

2. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

My coffee plants grow pretty good on benign neglect. They seem to survive a fairly wide range of temperatures, they like bright light-their windows face east and south, and direct sun in winter. They'll droop and drop leaves, but the big one flowers and produces fruit pretty regularly. Do a search of this forum on coffee. There's lots of good stuff here.
    Carl

3. innergarden

innergarden Member

thanks pinenut...I have quite a bit of info here!

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My trees are somewhat shaded but receive bright light for much of the day. The humidity is typically 45-65%. The soil is always moist but not wet. The trees appear to be very happy under these conditions; the leaves are glossy and unblemished; growth is continuous when the temperatures are warm.

As an experiment I moved one of them into a room with much lower humidity levels (30's) earlier this month. It'll be interesting to see what effect this will have over time.