Looking for frontyard tree

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Niggle, May 16, 2007.

1. Niggle

Niggle Member

Hi,

My sister is letting me plant some trees in her front and backyard. She wants a particular tree planted in the south-facing front: a tree that will give shade over the second-story window in the hot season, as the direct light makes part of her living room quite hot. For these reasons, she is looking for:

1. deciduous

2. a tree that won't grow past (or at least not too much past) the roof of the two-story house.

3. a fast grower.

4. a tree that doesn't grow out too wide; something more elliptical. Though I think this last one is not set in stone.

I want to plant Katsura, but she doesn't want the height which it would most likely reach.

Any and all suggestions would gratefully welcome. Thanks,

Niggle.

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

The usual applies: fast growing trees don't just stop when they hit a certain height. Once a fast grower, always a fast grower.

However, deciduous trees can be shaped as they grow.

One thing to consider is time of leaf-out. My neighbour has an Albizia which is just leafing out now; leaves also fall early. That allows us to enjoy both spring and autumn sun while being shaded in summer.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Running bamboo with a root barrier.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have used a Robinia very succesfully as a planting up my NORTH (southern hemisphere) facing walls. They line my drive way along with a couple of maples (small leaved common for here) a prunus and something else can't remember it's name. The Robinia have grown tall and slender where they are hemmed in and tall and wider reaching out over the paddock fence to give the animals shade. My house is a two story cedar on a slight slope and they have grown tall enough to be really effective in about 7 years. Lovely tiny bright gold leaves in autumn, beautiful fragile branches in winter and a not too heavy shade in our hot summers. The drive has a feeling of a church cloister when it is hot. I grew mine from seed I gathered at my Univ. They do have a flower but it is almost non existant and I have never seen seeds on them. I am unsure which variety they are but they have dark grey trunks and do not re sprout if a branch is removed. I think some varieties once cut down shoot up all over the place. I had one that was dubbed a wisteria tree and grew very fast and broke in the wind so I cut it back and am still haveing problems with it. My driveway ones however are perfect and the leaves very small. They also seem to be able to stand up to the very strong winds we get blowing along the ridge.

Liz

5. Niggle

Niggle Member

Thank you Karin, Ron and Liz for these suggestions. My suspicions about "fast growers always being fast growers" has been confirmed. Alas, I must convince my sister. Also, yes, I must ask her about time of leaf-out...I'm pretty sure she would object to bamboo, though I think that would be cool somehow, granted they were spaced enough and not just a mass clump. Those Robinias seem mighty tempting. I checked out some pics. Love the shapely trunk. I'm going to try and get a hold of some, from seeds if needs be, for myself, whether sister wants it or no. Also liked the Albizia. Yikes, this just keeps getting more complex.

6. Chloris

Chloris Member

A katsura would be lovely. What about a weeping Katsura? I don't think the weepers grow as high as the upright Katsura.

7. Niggle

Niggle Member

Thanks Chloris for the suggestion. The weeping variety may be a go.