Birds nest fern

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Canadianplant, May 14, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

BOught one of these from superstore. Itrs in a small dish and im assuming repottiung it wont hurt it. What kind of soil should i use? I have miracle frow soil that i was going to use. Also what kind of pot should it go in? I read that they like shallow wide pots.

thanks

2. luly255

luly255 Member

I love miracle grow moisture control. I think it works best. As far as the pot is concerned... My neighbor has it in an every day pot and hers is doing wonderfully!

3. Canadianplant

i have a ficus religiosa in it. I tried one in the mositure control and in normal dirt. THe one in normal dirt is doing ok but has some yellow spotting on the leaves. It has a single stem and large leaves. The one in the moisture control has nice large green elaves sith almsot 5 or 6 stems on it. It even survived a car rive accross canada. thanks for the reply

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

In real life some varieties grow up in the trees. Mine grows in leafy forest floor type litter. So it will need to be in well drained potting soil with compost content. I have had mine for well over 20 years and it is large and has just weathered a bad drought and is still doing very well. Any normal pot will do the job.

http://rainforest-australia.com/Birds_Nest_Fern.htm

Liz

5. Canadianplant

what i would do to be living in australia lol. I can just imagine what you have growing there. alright so a normal pot is ok then. Mirical grow is ok. Does any one know how well it handles the shock of being transplanted?

6. Liz

I can't vouch for your weather but you are in spring. It should be fine. I have found them hardy. Just put water in its nest and dampen it up well. Then leave it in an area that is protected and not too hot (sunny)

By the way Australia may not be the place , we have just had our driest year on record (150 yrs)

Liz

7. Canadianplant

i keep hearing about that... What do you have to do to keep your garden from drying up or burning in the sun? ans what do you mean by :nest"? the middle where the new leaves sprout from?

8. Liz

Nest . Yes in the middle that is where it catches the rain when it is growing in the trees. It then funnels the water down to its root area.

Re our summers. Where I am it can get very hot 40+C for a couple of days but then backs off to mid high 20's early thirties. The trick is to use mulching BIG time. Not over water so plant sends roots down deep. Consider alternatives to water wasting lawn. Plant things that are drought hardy. We have many beautiful natives that will do the trick. Have even seen a native cottage garden. If you have exotics then I tend to use pots or restrict them to a smaller area so I can keep an eye on them. I suppose it is the opposite of the standing on ones head that is done to keep a garden going in the freezing cold areas. We did finaly get a good drop of rain last night here. That will help no end. Lovely fresh day today lots of sun again.

Liz

9. Canadianplant

victoria is on what side of the continent? im thinin east or north but i have a feeling its the wewst