BAucarnea strica

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Canadianplant, May 14, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have 2 yr old seedlings taht depsrately need to be repotted. what kind of soil should i used? I have miracle grow potting mix and moisture control but im prety sure theylll retain too much moisture. thanks

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Beaucarnea stricta is similar to Beaucarnea recurvata. Both are sold under the trade name "Ponytail Palm", however they are not palms. Beaucarnea stricta is generally a smaller plant, but has a proportionally larger caudex and taller, narrower stems and the foliage is a little more blue-green than Beaucarnea recurvata. In the wild it grows in the dry, tropical forests of Central America, usually on a hillside with cycads, and other drought-tolerant plants.

With the caudiciform plants (your Beaucarnea), it is often more desireable to keep the plant somewhat root-bound to produce a large caudex. In fact, giving caudiciforms too much room often slows the growth and forms a rather tall, narrow specimen. Having said that, in order to keep the roots healthy under such conditions it is necessary to have a very loose, gritty, mix that should only be wet for a few days, at the most. It allows for proper root transpiration and reduces the chances of root rot. Potting soil generally holds a lot of moisture and is not appropriate for a desert-type plant.

If you have further questions, look in the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree forum. There is a thread titled Succulent and Caudiciform Culture Guide. We have posted three guides from different nurseries that should answer your questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  3. Canadianplant

Thanks dude that helped me out alot, answered almsot al of my questions in one shot lol. But ihave 2 mroe questions for you.... Can i just use "cacti and succulent" soil mix for them? and alsowhat do you know of palms?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

The mass-produced cacti and succulent mixes commonly found at your local garden center still have quite a bit of fine, particulate matter that still holds quite a bit of moisture and is not good for the root health of a rather root-bound plant. I am not aware of any nursery that specializes in cacti, succulents, caudiciforms, etc. that uses such a mix. In fact, I am not sure how this mix came to be, or why this mix is sold. Most will use some mix of large grain (pool filter/construction) sand, ground pumice, bonsai soil, ground bark, vermiculite, and/or perlite. Desert plants typically grow in nutrient-deficient soils. You can mix in a little bit of slow-release, granular fertilizer to provide nutrients.

With regard to your second question, I do not have any experience with growing palms. Your Beaucarnea is not a palm, even though one often will see it labeled as such.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. Canadianplant

thanks fer the info all of my questions have been answered. Would sand/soil/peat/perlite work also? I know that my ponytail palm is not a palm. I am trying to get information on a few that i have thats all.