Identification: What kind of plant is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mistermambo, May 14, 2007.

1. mistermambo

mistermambo Member

Hello,

I inherited this plant from my mom who doesn't know what type it is. The reason I am asking is because I have also noticed that there are microscopic bugs in the soil - they almost look like lice - they are so small and don't fly (well at least not yet). Plus there are also these white ball like things in the soil which when broken release some sort of liquid -- I'm worried that they might be eggs of some sort. I'm attaching a picture of both the plant and the white balls.

Thanks!
    Linda

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The white balls are slow release fertilizer... no problem. The plant is a Corn Plant (Dracaena Fragrans). The little bugs are likely soil mites that are generally pretty harmless. They are in every potted plant.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I believe this is Dracaena reflexa rather than D. fragrans.

HTH
    Chris

4. mistermambo

mistermambo Member

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I am so relieved to hear that these balls are fertilizer -- makes sense! Good to know also since I was thinking about adding fertilizer to the plant!

Everytime I'm on sites like these I'm always so amazed how generous people are with their time and knowledge. I appreciate your help!

:)
    Linda

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

You're more than welcome. As for feeding the plant, if those balls are all empty so you can feed the plant if you wish. Regular feedings with a ballanced houseplant food and lots of light. True, they can live with VERY little light, but if you give it a lot it will bloom. I've never seen one in person, but I understand that they smell FANTASTIC!

Lots of luck,
    Michael