Disease question

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by lianne tees, May 1, 2007.

1. lianne tees

lianne tees Member

Re: Updated: How to post a message

I have some sort of maple tree in my front yard.It had some kind of harmless disease with all those little red bumps on it. Gall something or other disease. Anyways. We have removed the tree to plant and apple tree in its place. I was wondering it that apple tree is going to be at risk of the same disease?? It's not very nice looking.

thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If the "little red bumps" are insect or mite galls, then it won't, as those are always unique to a particular species or genus. If the "little red bumps" are a fungal disease such as Nectria, not galls, then there is a chance it might.

A photo of the little red bumps would help.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

The red bumps on the leaves is not unusual and not harmful to the tree and some years are worse than others but it tends to resolve in established trees. This quote is from North Dakota State University Extension
    If you removed the tree because of the 'red bumps', it was a tad drastic. Your Apple tree will not suffer from the same ailment as it is specific to Maples. Unfortunately though, Apple trees suffer from many more disfiguring, damaging, and unsightly diseases & pests than Maples do.

Simon

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

If the bumps are on the leaves, it's mites. If the bumps are on the bark, it's Nectria.