Dwarf hydrangea, lilac, or azalea etc?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by fern2, Apr 28, 2007.

1. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Hi,

I'm thinking about putting a small (1m x 1m) bush in my back yard but don't even know which family might do best. The plant needs to have STRONG branches & stem that can be knocked about a bit by dogs on tie-out leashes (not constantly, maybe once a day, but with the occasional tangle around the stem/branches too). Ideally I guess it'd be best if the plant had a dense system of low branches (rather than a popsicle-like stem & foliage) to ultimately discourage the animals from wandering around it. Evergreen leaves would also be great - both for the mid-winter greenery and the added density year-round. At the same time, however, I definitely want a flowering bush, not a boring green hedge - and preferably something that'll bloom in June (tho that isn't a deal-breaker).

I was playing around with the idea of a small evergreen azalea but didn't find any varieties or colours that seemed to suit. I also saw a dwarf lilac (Syrigna meyeri) on sale at a local nursery the other day and it got me thinking about maybe getting a dwarf lilac or hydrangea instead, since I definitely prefer them (in their larger form) to most azaleas. But I'm also very open to other suggestions.

I'm going to the Van Dusen plant sale tomorrow and figured it'd be the perfect opportunity to pick myself up a great little bush, but I'm running low on ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions or favourites that you think I should keep an eye out for??

Thanks muchly!

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

If it is in shade you could try Sarcococca. Caryopteris, Clethra, Cotoneaster, PJM Rhododendron, Berberis species, Spireas, Deutzia, Itea, Kerria, Leucothoe, Mahonia aquifolium, or maybe a knockout rose.