Lilac Tree (Pruning away Fungis Infected wood)

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by D.Smith, Apr 26, 2007.

1. D.Smith

D.Smith Member

My 16 year old lilac tree developed extensive fungi growth starting at the base of the trunk progressing up all shoots and branches. One side of the tree died. I decided to cut the tree down to the ground leaving two/three new shoots growing from the base of the trunk. My question is this, should I seal the saw cut left at the base of the trunk? How will it affect the new growth by not doing so? Thank you

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not an arborist, but could put cinnamon on the stems and rub it on the moist wounded parts, then try to keep the rain off for a while. Apparently a paste with Elmers Glue or cooking oil can be made. Should act as a fungicide and shouldn't harm anything.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. D.Smith

D.Smith Member

Hi Chemera, thanks for your reply.
    You didnt make any mention about the raw saw cut and if I should seal it with anything. Do you know anything about saw cuts/

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mentioned tree wounds, should have referred to saw cuts. Would rub the cinnamon on them and sprinkle a little on that. Best if the parts you are applying it to are moist so the cinnamon sticks. Was concerned heavy rain may wash it off. The cinnamon was a tip from an orchid grower years ago, inexpensive, seems to work. If there is a lot of sap coming from the saw cuts you may want to apply again, or try making the paste. Have just rubbed it on the saw cuts here. Saw cuts will likely heal best if they are clean and smooth, before applying the cinnamon. Not familiar with fungus that affect lilacs, a little research may be worth your time. If it is in the roots it may not be possible to save. Could google "lilac disease".

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007