Which viburnum is this?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bevlee, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bevlee

bevlee Member

When we had to sell my parents' house four years ago, I was upset at leaving behind a large "snowball tree". Unfortunately, it was a very dry August, but we decided to transplant the tree to our garden. It tried to bloom valiently for the next three years, but I could see that despite my care, it was dying back. This Spring, it has succumbed. I should have left it where it was!

My Uncle Bill (Livingstone) who was in charge of gardens in Vancouver parks and who designed Queen Elizabeth and Van Dusen gardens had given us this shrub about 50 years ago, and we always considered it a special one. It has grown (with some pruning) to 8 - 10 ft. in height to about 12 ft. in diameter, and had masses of large 5-6 in. completely round ball-shaped flowers. When in full bloom the flowers were very white. I would very much like to know what type of viburnum it might be, as I would like to replace it with a younger memorial tree.

Thank you
    Bevlee

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

If not successful here or finding the proper one in a nursery, may be an idea to look in the gardens mentioned, V.D. and Q.E., to find the viburnum needed. They may be able to direct you properly to a similar plant. Could ask at the information desk or library. Expect they both keep records of plant acquisitions, sources and years acquired. Not sure how many years back though. Could phone them first, or check their websites, to check on the library hours or such time that the info would be accessible. Would help to know if your plant was fragrant or a pic , there are many viburnums. May be interesting.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Was it fragrant?

Sounds like Viburnum x carlcephalum

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look up V. macrocephalum.