red tip photinia black spots

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by dakota, Apr 23, 2007.

1. dakota

dakota Member

I have newly planted photinia schrubs that have started to show black spots on the leaves and some of the leaves are being eaten. I'm new to the plant deseases and could use some help to keep my schrubs living. dakota

2. Geastrum

Geastrum Active Member

Without a picture it is hard to say, but it could be that your plants are infected with the fungus Entomosporium mespili . This web site has more on the condition: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-609/450-609.html

It would be a good idea to see if there is an agricultural extension agent/plant pathologist at a local univeristy. That person could confirm the ID of the pathogen and might be able to recommend some control or treatment options.

3. dakota

dakota Member

Thanks for the information. I will contact our local extention office to see if they can help. Dakota

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spotting of Fraser photinia has become so pervasive the plant may start being phased out. I prefer the parent species anyway, although the numbers of those planted are so much lower it is hard to tell if they are resistant or not. And even if resistant now they might be overcome later, by a more virulent strain or one otherwise able to attack them to the point of causing defoliation.

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

it is pretty much an unavoidable fungus on the red-tip photinias. If they are in an irrigated area, make sure the irrigation water isn't soaking the leaves, this increases the chance for the fungus to spread and stick around. Also, rake up any fallen leaves and dispose of them. A fungicide will help, but you are going to be constantly spraying. Sad to say, but this plant is not recommended anymore in our state. It is still sold, but discouraged to plant. This is a great shrub: it has pretty foliage, rapid grower, and is evergreen. Unfortunately it is highly suseptible to disease.