Weeping Birch Cygon injection dosages ...

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by MarcD, Apr 16, 2007.

1. MarcD

MarcD Member

Hi,

I need help in determining a cygon dosage for my weeping birch.

I do not want to do a 'soil drench' but rather a micro injection. I plan to use a nail to make a hole in the phloem for a 4" long size 18 hypodermic needle (needle connected to an IV bag).

I think I can stop the tree from bleeding at this wound site (silicone plug, tar wrap 'all held in' with a compression bandage).

I've got all the materials but I haven't found any info concerning:
    dosage [foliar applications - I think - are 10 mL in 10 L) should I half this for injection?
    is tap water OK, is cygon compatible with distilled water?
    do I need to worry about microbes living in this pesticide?

Sincerely Thanks

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi,

I need help in determining a cygon dosage for my weeping birch. - what are you treating for?

I do not want to do a 'soil drench' but rather a micro injection. I plan to use a nail to make a hole in the phloem for a 4" long size 18 hypodermic needle (needle connected to an IV bag). - this product is not made for microinjection. for microinjection consider the Mauget brand of products.

I think I can stop the tree from bleeding at this wound site (silicone plug, tar wrap 'all held in' with a compression bandage). - Bad idea.

I've got all the materials but I haven't found any info concerning:
    dosage [foliar applications - I think - are 10 mL in 10 L) should I half this for injection? - no, its not made for micro injection.

is tap water OK, is cygon compatible with distilled water? - tap water is fine for mixing most pesticides.
    do I need to worry about microbes living in this pesticide? - no.

- Technically it is not registered for use in Canada, legally you are not supposed to use this product any longer.

3. MarcD

MarcD Member

Hi and Thanks for your help!

I'm treating for the birch borer.

Is bidrin available in Canada?

I've used the 'compression bandage' to stop the bleeding from a limbed 10" basal branch.

Is tap water OK for injection?

The manufacturer suggests painting a band around the trunck and letting the kill agent diffuse into the bark - I'm chooosing to inject to minimize environmental exposure.

I believe the Cygon (Lagon) family of chemicals is availble till end of this year

Take Care

Marc

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi and Thanks for your help! - no worries, hope the advice helps.

I'm treating for the birch borer. - fair enough.

Is bidrin available in Canada?- I am not familiar with it, sorry.

I've used the 'compression bandage' to stop the bleeding from a limbed 10" basal branch. - technically it isnt bleeding, its sap flow and supposedly harmless. stopping it is not necessary. Pruning cuts made in a proper manner will seal as best as the tree is able on its own (refer to ANSI A-300)

Is tap water OK for injection? - should be but injectables are premixed in dosage containers. Cygon (dimethoate) is not made for injection.

The manufacturer suggests painting a band around the trunck and letting the kill agent diffuse into the bark - I'm chooosing to inject to minimize environmental exposure. - yes, Cygon was applied via soil drench, foliar spray or trunk painting.

I believe the Cygon (Lagon) family of chemicals is availble till end of this year- Cygon has not been available to homeowners (it may still be available at the commercial level) for a few years. The lack of registration for home use is what makes it non lawful to apply it for such purposes. If you are in doubt, contact your provincial ministry of environment and ask them if it is registered for use in the manner and for the purpose in which you intend to use it. If you are a licensed applicator there may be registered uses I am unaware of as I am dont apply pesticides for any of my clients. (I usually send clients to a licensed specialized spray company if they have pest issues).

cheers,
    Paul