Wintering hibiscus plants

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by thudds, Apr 11, 2007.

1. thudds

thudds Member

I bought two hibiscus plants last summer and they were great all summer long. I brought them in for the winter (Minnesota) and they've lost all their leaves, which I've read they will. One on there are new leaves growing near the base and on the other there isn't.

Is there anything I should be doing other than watering and misting? Do I trim back the stems that appear dead?

Is this normal for these plants in this area?

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

You should cut back the branches, also they shouldn't have lost all of there leaves, but its ok that it did. you can begin to fertilize them now that its spring, but with a weak solution. Give them lots of light and don't let them dry out too much, they should be fine until you put them back out for the summer, but remeberto bring them in before it gets too cold in the fall you probably waited too long and that why it droped it leaves.

3. thudds

thudds Member

I read somewhere they do not tolerate weather very well below 40 degrees and I think they may have had a couple nights out in the 32-40 degree weather. They have occasionally developed leaves up along the stems, but the new puppy has decided she likes to eat those!