oak tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Karenc410, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Karenc410

Karenc410 Member

We have an oak tree in our front yard that is losing patches of bark and has many holes in the bark from an insect or a woodpecker I guess. The tree also has a big plug of mistletoe growing out of the side of the tree about three feet from the ground. Last year the tree was so filled with aphids that it dripped sticky sap on my car all summer and fall untill all leaves were lost. Very messy. This tree is getting some leaves now but seems behind the other trees in the neighborhood. Sould we cut it down and plant something else or should we try to save this tree instead? If so, what can we use to heal it and to rid it of the aphids?

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Hi Karen,

The best I can suggest for the aphid problem is to look into getting some ladybugs. You use to be able to purchase systemic insecticide (maybe you still can where you live - ask at you local garden shop) which you either painted on the tree trunk or sprayed on the foliage. It would get into the sap of the tree and kill all the chewing and sucking pests without bothering the spiders, butterflies and other non-destructive insects.

Ask at your garden center for something to patch the holes with. I know a lot of people use plaster or concrete but I don't really think that is very good for the tree.

The mistletoe should be taken out of the tree. Although they can grow on their own, when they are in a tree, their roots will penetrate the branches and the mistletoe will get it's nourishment from the oak.

As for the late opening of the leaves, this is a common practice among Oak trees. There is a caterpiller that in some areas will feast on the new leaves of the oak and over time the oak has evolved so that it waits until the last possible moment to break the leaves out of the scaly buds so that, hopefully, most of the caterpillars have starved waiting for dinner to be served.

Anne

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Your tree sounds very unhealthy. If the mistletoe is in the
    main trunk the tree will probably never be large or healthy.
    If you like to gamble you could cut the tree off one foot below
    the mistletoe and allow a new leader to develop. Otherwise
    just replace the tree.

HTH
    Chris

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Above all other recommendations, get a local qualified arborist to look at the tree and get a report outlining his/her recommendations.

Simon

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

how big is it? can you post a picture so we can see what it looks like. I would get a certified arborist to take a look.

6. Karenc410

Karenc410 Member

Thank you all for your advise and suggestions. I can take a photo of the tree and post it. The tree is not very mature, I'd say it is less than ten years old, but I have only lived in this house for less than a year.

7. kia796

kia796 Active Member

It'd be a shame to lose an oak...
    agree with the tip to get an arborist to look at it.

Good luck.

8. J.Onstott

J.Onstott Active Member

Smivies is right, alot of things can be going on with your tree and the outward expression may be deceptive, If you can't affpord to have an arborist come out I would suggest maybe an extension agent. If it is a diesiese that is weakening it and allowing for insect damage they may be happy to know. It may turn out that you have abiotic causes for your trees decline.

9. J.Onstott

J.Onstott Active Member

Wow... may I be the first to notice the number of spelling and grammar erroprs in that post I made...sorry.

10. Karenc410

Karenc410 Member

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I will call to see if I can find an arborist to come and take a look at the tree. Perhaps I should also call the city if the tree has something that can spread to other neighborhood trees.