Grape Vine Leaves Curled

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by johncraftiv, Mar 30, 2007.

1. johncraftiv

johncraftiv Member

We have four vines in our back yard that are three years old. This year, one of the vines has severely curled leaves. They are curled upward, and seem just a little dry. Could this be due to overwatering?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Yes, if you drown the roots they die, leaving a reduced root system and reduced ability to take up water and nutrients. There are other possible causes as well; can you post a picture?

Ralph

3. johncraftiv

johncraftiv Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I think it may be insect related. The affected parts seem to be spreading and there are affected and healty parts on the same vines. Here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

The second photo in particular looks like 2-4-D damage. This is commonly found in grass weed preparations like "Weed-n-feed" fertilizer or broadleaf selective herbicides. The source can be a considerable distance from the vines as grapes are very sensitive to it. There is no particular treatment but recovery should begin within a few months unless it is a very severe case. The effects are typically random in a vinyard, depending on the wind eddies at the time of exposure.

On the other hand, the first photo looks like a potassium deficiency.

Ralph

5. johncraftiv

johncraftiv Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep my eyes on it and hope for the best...