UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Citrus

Post New ThreadReply

Old March 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Where to find citrus trees in Southern Ontario or anywhere in Canada?

Hey there,
I am trying to find a good seller of citrus trees in Southern Ontario or someone in Canada who ships. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks,
Chris
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Indoor Gardener

Re: Where to find citrus trees in Southern Ontario or anywhere in Canada?

Have a look at this threads:

Last edited by Daniel Mosquin; November 25th, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Removed dead link
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

mintchris,

I just joined the UBC forum so I could tell you what I know.

I've been looking for a lemon tree for 2 year. I live in Hamilton. At one point I gave up and sucessfully started a seed from a lemon I bought from the grocery store.

Any way, Iast week I was at Terra nurseries on Hwy 6 between Hamilton and Freelton, and two weeks ago they received a 2 truck shipment from Florida of citrus. (about 5 area in the greenhouse with groupings of about 20 to 30 plants)
I bought a ponderosa lemon 3ft. for $39.99 and a Key lime and orange. (19.99 ea.)
The same size orange I have priced in the past at $65.00 at Harpers Nurseries in Ancaster)

They also had Meyers lemon.

They had a few Grapefruit and Lemon trees 6 to 7 ft tall at $125.00 (I think that was the price) some had sold signs on them.

I dont know if theyll ship to you... there phone number is (905) 689-1999 (Waterdown)

Hope thats helpful

Esti
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

The floral shop that I work in always has citrus trees, they are available from 4"-20" pots, also lots of varieties. You ahouls try one of the local ( mid-high end) floral shops to see if they can have any shipped in for you. Ours come from a grower in Toronto.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Indoor Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. View Post
Ours come from a grower in Toronto.
Is it a commercial grower? Which varieties do they produce? Do they have a website?
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Surprising to me that Terra nurseries in Canada has received a shipment of citrus trees from the state of Florida. Due to the wide spread, and numerous diseases of citrus trees throughout all of Florida, the United States government has quarantined Florida, and does not allow any citrus trees to be shipped either into the sate, or any Florida citrus trees to leave the state. Florida is not allowed to ship citrus trees to any of the 50 states, even the cold states that have a zero citrus industry. - Millet (1,391-)
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM

I just called Terra nurseries, and they confirmed that yes, they are from florida. They have been inspected and gone throught the quarantine process. I know the ministry of agriculture can be difficult at the boarder.

Mine are doing fine so far. Just a bit of young fruit drop on the orange which I assure is just from transportation and climate change

Esti

Last edited by Esti; April 1st, 2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Wrong word typed (last word change not communication)
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Esti, thank your for your reply, concerning Florida citrus trees in Canada. Interesting that for the purpose of protecting the U.S. citrus industry, the United States Department of Agricultural (USDA) will not allow a single Florida citrus tree to leave the state, under any situations what so ever, however, the USDA does not seem to worry about other countries. Although Canada does not have a citrus industry, neither does Colorado, Minnesota, Maine, and a host of other cold states. - Millet (1.389-)
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Indoor Gardener

I guess the logic behind it is that the movement of material across international boundaries (back into the U.S.) is much stricter than that across state lines. The quarantine does not seem to have affected the availability of citrus trees from Florida in my area.
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM

The Key Lime that Esti mentioned at Terra for $19.99 is now on sale for $14.99. Sale ends Wednesday April 8, 2009.
The ad is at:
http://www.terragreenhouses.com/show...d=130&type=pdf
page 1, top left corner.

I was at the Milton store & all I saw were Key Limes on sale for $14.99, in either thorny or thornless varieties - no other citrus plants for $14.99. They are in very good condition. I picked one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esti View Post
mintchris,

I just joined the UBC forum so I could tell you what I know.

I've been looking for a lemon tree for 2 year. I live in Hamilton. At one point I gave up and sucessfully started a seed from a lemon I bought from the grocery store.

Any way, Iast week I was at Terra nurseries on Hwy 6 between Hamilton and Freelton, and two weeks ago they received a 2 truck shipment from Florida of citrus. (about 5 area in the greenhouse with groupings of about 20 to 30 plants)
I bought a ponderosa lemon 3ft. for $39.99 and a Key lime and orange. (19.99 ea.)
The same size orange I have priced in the past at $65.00 at Harpers Nurseries in Ancaster)

They also had Meyers lemon.

They had a few Grapefruit and Lemon trees 6 to 7 ft tall at $125.00 (I think that was the price) some had sold signs on them.

I dont know if theyll ship to you... there phone number is (905) 689-1999 (Waterdown)

Hope thats helpful

Esti
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Why is it that I always miss the sales....

My plants lemons and limes are doing great...

but.. my orange is dropping leaves.... I've seen others in other greenhouses that look the same.. one in welland..(the name is dutch, starts with a V....ermeer's garden centre). (all their other stock is beautiful). I'm thinking weather changes and cold drafts ... what do you think? It' strikes me as the same problem I have with ficcus ben. plants... the way the leaves drop.

Last edited by Esti; April 7th, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: sounds abit personal
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Hello,

When I was a kid, I used to live in Ontario in the 1980's. I used to go out camping in the woods with the Boy Scouts and I remember seeing a wild variety of Lime trees sometimes growing in the woods.

The limes from this tree tasted much more bitter than those found in the grocery stores. I am calling it a lime because this citrus fruit was green like a lime. It most likely would be a good candidate to carry a graft from a branch of a different kind of citrus tree as this lime tree survives Ontario winters with no problem.

I don't believe that those Ontario limes are sold commercially because they are so bitter but you can probably get a small tree or gather some of the fruits from the woods.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where those woods were as this was over 28 years ago for me.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Indoor Gardener

Maybe you're thinking of Poncirus trifoliata, Trifoliate Orange.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
KIMTALK
This message has been deleted by Daniel Mosquin. Reason: Post deleted because not relevant to original question -- needs to be sources in Canada.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post
Hey there,
I am trying to find a good seller of citrus trees in Southern Ontario or someone in Canada who ships. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks,
Chris
If you are ever in Toronto, there is a garden centre called Plant World they always have citrus, the price is reasonable and right now until the end of February they are 30% off. The selection will be better after March. I have 13 varieties and they have even more.
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Hello all,, if any fellow Canadians need a hand finding citrus, we might be able to help.
we stock our greenhouse year round with all types of limes, lemons, grapefruits and other unique varieties.

some of our recent arrivals are:
Cara cara red navel.
Green finger lime
kaffir lime
Improved meyer lemon
Key limes

we are 10 min's from upper Canada mall. In Holland Landing, ontario.
we have a small add on kijiji

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ405308285

Simpson Eco Farms
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

HI Chris,
I just got a load of Citrus varieties in last week.
See them here on my web site.
http://www.tropic.ca/citrus/
I ship Canada wide.
Pictured the hardy Lemon Yuzu Inchandrin (Citrus junos)

Good Growing.
Ray MClick image for larger version

Name:	yuzu- lemon Japan.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	114077
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post
Hey there,
thanks,
Chris
You can also try Flora Exotica out of Montreal - he ships Canada wide and has a wide variety of exotic fruits available, not just citrus. Sometimes he can be a little hard to get a hold of but I have never been disappointed with the quality of his plants.
http://www.floraexotica.ca/Fruit-Citrus.htm
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Hello,
I have a number of citrus varieties.
See them on my web site.
www.tropic.ca
I ship Canada wide till October.
Most are fruiting now!

or Contact Ray Mattei at PH: 604.943.6562.
Post New ThreadReply