my orchid needs help

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ksoneji, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ksoneji

ksoneji Member

Hello.

My friend recently gave me an orchid, but it didn't have a tag with information about the type of orchid it is or the care it needs. As you can see, some leaves are starting to yellow at the tips. Would you please tell me what type of orchid it is so I can give it the care it deserves?

Thank you so much.

ksoneji

Attached Files:

2. kome

kome Active Member

try Cymbidium, there are many species.

3. SierraM

SierraM Member

Definitely a Cymbidium. Probably a Standard size (larger, cooler temps, and not very tolerant of warm weather). The classic corsage orchid. Firm waxy flowers, long lasting. Some consider Cyms a challenge, other say they're a breeze. The newer "mini" crosses are far more tolerant of Mid-Atlantic summer weather.
    Oh yeah, repotting's an "issue" with Cyms. They prefer a bit of a crowded root-bound condition. New medium, a big pot w/lotsa room, and you've pretty much assured NOT getting blooms the next season. Orchids...weirdness personified, go figure. Your exact cross is questionable, but beautiful flowers. Two files are attached, both from the American Orchid Society culture DB. They should help answer the majority of your basic questions.

Good luck, a Cym is definitely a plant to hook a new convert <G>