Bamboos in Ontario

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by dekart, Feb 8, 2007.

1. dekart

dekart Member

There are few of them that are very well adopted for our climate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  2. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Re: wild bamboo

Dekart, I have never heard of bamboo becoming invasive even in southern Ontario. In fact, most people struggle to keep them alive. You must be in the banana belt. The cold cutting them back in the winter pretty much takes care of any invasive tendencies. Would you like to share which species? As a lover of bamboo, I would be most interested in knowing what might possibly survive here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  3. dekart

dekart Member

4. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Re: wild bamboo

Dekart---sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in what I was asking you. I am well aware of what is supposed to be hardy here, most of which aren't or will survive but barely. What I was asking you was, of your own personal experience/knowledge, what will do well consistently in southern Ontario---non-banana belt that is. Obviously I would not want runners, just clumpers.

I had a Fargesia in my former garden that did not badly, but it did finally decide one very cold winter that it had had enough. Of course, the question of snow cover is an issue. It would help if we could rely on snow every winter, particularly before we get hit with the inevitable frigid period. Last winter I had no more than 2" of snow on the ground, and that was only for a short period of time.