UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Indoor and Greenhouse Plants

Indoor and Greenhouse Plants Plant Care, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old January 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Palm trees and cats

I need to know if palm trees are poisonous to cats. I know there are several types of palm trees. Are any of them safe for cats? Thanks for your help!
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Re: Palm trees and cats

from what i have read most houseplants are poisonus to cats dogs and even people ( mostly with children and elderly). they are only poison if they are ingested. some cats do like to munch on house plants taht look liek grass and what i have seen people do is put soem cayanne pepper around the pot of the plant. also what i have done to keep my cat away form my plants is to sray her with cold water.. ( she tryed to eat my dragon tree when she was a kitten adn one shot fo the water she handt gone near ne of them).
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I can only speak from experience here (unfortunately). During my absence last week my big male house cat found his way onto my FULL windowsill and knocked off several 1 gallon palms. Various trachys and sabals, mostly. He munched them down, barfed them back up, and is otherwise no worse for wear. Not the case for the palms!
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM

lol wow guess its back from sratch
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Thanks for your replies. I read in another thread to peel an orange and put the peels on top of the dirt because cats hate citrus. So I'm going to try that too.
Thanks Again!!!
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

orange peels do work.. cats hate the citrus... also another thing i found that works great on pets is the caned air that you use for your computers .. if you are around and they are chewing or near the plants or something you dont want them to be around.. just give them a lil burst of air .. it dont have to be directly on them .. just from a distance.. that scares them good and it dont hurt them .. alot better then squirting your cat with water near your computer .. :)

Marn
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

According to my experience, while palms are not toxic to cats, cats are VERY toxic to palms. The problem with the citrus peel trick is that you need a constant supply of fresh peels and after a while you start to feel like you're living in a garbage heap. Plus, some freak cats actually like the stuff.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM

You can try using bounce sheets (the scented ones can work), double sided tape on areas where the cat will have to walk to get to your plants or if you have one of those yoga exercize balls you can use the handheld air pump to freak out the cats. The air pump works for my sister seeing as her cats aren't afraid of anything else it's great.

Good luck,

-Ryan
Post New ThreadReply