How to Grow an Austrailian Tree Fern in a Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by IslandMan007, Nov 6, 2006.

1. IslandMan007

IslandMan007 Member

Hello

I have a 7 month old Austrailian Tree Fern which has been growing very well in a wooded area in my yard all spring and summer. Now that winter is here (I am in Zone 7a in the US state of Maryland), I dug it up, put it in a pot and put the tree fern in my greenhouse. The tree fern has been in my greenhouse for about 2 weeks and I noticed that some of the leaves are shriveling up and turning brown. This is the first time I have ever seen the tree fern do this. I know the tree fern likes more shady and cooler locations so my greenhouse may be too warm for it. My greenhouse can get up to 85F on a very sunny winter day. What can I do to help my Austrailian Tree Fern survive in my greenhouse? My other tropicals (e.g. banana, hibiscus, orange, etc) love the heat but not this tree fern. I have heard that it needs to be watered down the middle of the trunk and misting helps. I need someone with experience with growing these Austrailian tree ferns in a greenhouse to help me with growing tips before I end up losing my tree fern. I could always bring it in the house but my house is very dry in the winter. Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Hans

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

you can purchase some shade cloth and hang it over where the tree fern will be growing to give it some extra shade or place taller plants around it to provide shade, also try soaking the floors on particularly hot days to get the temp lower and matbe spray your tree fern to help it stay cool.