Air fern debate

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Scottnamy, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Scottnamy

Scottnamy Member

Someone tell me I'm not nuts....... I have an air fern that was given to me five years ago and it has gotten visibly longer, Yet, My girlfriend has shown me web sites that say air ferns DO NOT grow. Hope I am not showing my own ignorance here. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or, perhaps what you are calling an air fern, is not really an air fern...

4. Venetia

Venetia Member

I believe we have Tilandsia or "airplant" is not supposed to be watered often but "air ferns" are decorations and do not need water (once living sea creatures). People often mix up the terms air plant and air fern btw.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. Venetia

Venetia Member

6. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Perhaps a simple photo would clear this up. I generally dislike any reference to 'air plants,' and 'air ferns,' especially, as both are grossly misleading. Tillandsia sp. are epiphytes, not 'air plants,' and they will quickly off it under most people's home circumstances. They required warmth and humidity to survive, that is where they get their water from... Leaving it indoors, in the dark, with no water, you will effectively dessicate and preserve it. It won't get any bigger because you've killed it.

An 'air fern' hasn't anything to do with either 'air' or ferns,' and so the term as a whole should be discarded as a creation of sleazy Marketing wankers that don't know a bloody thing about botany. Their job is to deceive you into buying things; that's what they get paid a nice 5-6 figure salary for. It is a close kin to coral, and comes from the bottom of the North Sea. Therefore, it is a "Water/Animal," not an "Air/Plant."

Again, though, a photo is required, as we could just as soon be discussing a 'water bamboo,' which is an entirely different tangent that I'll spare you at the moment.

7. Venetia

Venetia Member

Once again, most people do not understand all the botanical nomenclature and I was being nice enough to make sure that anyone accessing this info was able to understand it.

8. Venetia

Venetia Member

OK everyone, any plant that actually flowers is not a fern...it may be something else, but it is not a fern...There are many plants refered to as ferns that aren't. I can send pics of my Asparagus "fern" in bloom and with berries (otherwise known as fruit).

9. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Venetia,

Wasn't directing anything at you personally dear. ;-) Aside from the rabid tangent, the fact of the matter is without a photo of the object in question, we're all grasping at straws having a good vent, and passing along general information that may or may not have anything to do with the situation.

Best,

Darryl

10. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

There is no such thing as an "air fern".

The thing that was passing under that name is actually the dried skeleton of some sea creature died green. It was not alive. It was stone cold dead and was completely incapable of growing. Some people actually did claim theirs grew but they must have been tripping.

Yes Virginia, botanical nomenclature is not the "nomenclutter" that some neanderthal boneheads claim. You need to know what you are talking about to be able to communicate.

True ferns are not flowering plants by definition. It is unfortunate that the average person will confuse any plant with finely dissected leaves with ferns because that is not at all what defines true ferns.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  11. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ooh, Steve---better watch that "potentially profane" thing there, eh? ---Seems to me we are straying from the original request for aid put by Scottnamy. "Air Fern" is just a cute marketing nickname. It is not a living plant of any kind. At all. Yes, it COULD get longer through the actions over time of humidity and gravity. ---I remember being given one of these things by a relative who knew that I "liked plants"...well, yeah, I did and do, but this thing kinda creep'd me out. Besides, it smelled REALLY BAD. Couldn't get rid of it (Mom:"Where's that nice PLANT Aunt Hortense gave you??") but I did relegate it to a spot on a shelf far far away. Scottnamy, my advice to you is to deep-six the "AIR FERN" and invest in a nice philodendron. Cheers!