Care of Oxalis deppei?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi there:

Can anyone instruct me on the care of O. deppei? I've had one for six months now (as a houseplant). It's starting to look tired - smaller leaves, less of them, no blooms. I've read that they may need a period of rest, but there isn't much info about what to do. Cut off the leaves and put in a cool, dry place is all I've seen. I'd like to know more, and would sure like to hear from someone who has one...My books say they bloom through the winter, but mine bloomed through the summer.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. chirita

chirita Active Member

I have had an Oxalis deppei for a couple of years and it is very easy to keep over the winter. Just let it die back and go completely dry. I kept my plant on a cool windowsill in low light all winter and in April, as soon as the days became longer and sunnier , it started to send up new shoots. Then I started watering it again and when the days became warmer I moved it outside for the summer. This fall I left the plant outside as long as possible and only moved it inside when the temperature was predicted to go to freezing.

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure, exactly, how to send them the rest of the way into dormancy once they started to go there on their own. Now I know.