How to transport large dumbcane

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tfrasqueri, Oct 30, 2006.

1. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I have a fairly large dumbcane plant I got almost 2 years ago. I am 5'5" and it comes up to my collar bone. I am getting ready to move from VA to FL and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to transport it. It will not go with the movers so I'll have to transport it either in the back of my husband's truck or inside my Dodge Durango, although it is too tall to stand straight up in my suv. I wouldn't mind cutting it back as long as it won't kill the plant or cause it to go into shock. PLEASE HELP as I absolutely love this plant.
    Thanks,
    Tricia

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. James D.

James D. Active Member

You can cut it back very hard if you like, peridicaly i will chop my 8' tall dumbcane in half to get some new growth and to keep it small. or you can just lay it on its side in the back of your car and cover the pot with a garbage bag. either way it will work, but just remeber not to get any of the sap on your skin if you do cut it back it will make it go numb. when you get it to your new house give it some water and place it in its perminant spot quickly so it will get readjusted faster.

3. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Thanks for the response. If I cut it back, would I be able to plant the cuttings into a pot and get new plants? And when I cut it, do I just use a very sharp knife and cut it? I've never propagated one of these and like I said, I absolutely love this plant. If I can propagate and have them all over my house I would.

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

yes you can propagate them and have tonnes of them, just take a very sharp knife or a very good and clean pair of hand pruners( they should be sanitized by cleaning with rubbing alcohol). cut the dumb cane where you want it, then take those cuttings and either start them in soil with some rooting hormone or place them in some water untill they grow roots and then plant them up. then when it is summer put them outside in a semi shaded area, be careful not to give them full sun, the leaves will burn, and they will grow like crazy outside and before you know it you will have to cut them again. if you have any more question about propagating indoor plants just let me know, i do it all the time at home and for my work.

5. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Thanks a lot for the info. Do you know how to make it fuller? I have attached some pics so you can see what it looks like.
    Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

i wouldnt cut it back .. Dumbcanes and such should be propagated by air layering .. not just cutting chunks off .. I would not transport it in the back of the pick up as the wind will do alot of damage .. and it will not survive it .. i would lay it on it's side in the durango wrap a garbage bag around the pot it is .. tie it off loosely so you dont get dirt in the back .. and then wedge the pot on it's side up against something so it dont roll around. .. that would be the best way to do it .. and there wont be no wind damage at all to it ..

Marn

7. James D.

James D. Active Member

yes cutting it back will give you a more full plant and you can even plant the cuttings into the same pot to make it more full, air layering it will take a long time and will be inconvienent while you are moving. like i said before i cut mine back all the time and it is full and doing fine, you can pick which method is right for you.

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

one majory piece of advice with a Dumbcane when cutting it .. is wear rubber gloves and do NOT get any of the milky sap in your mouth .. it will cause problems .. big time .. it will cause your mouth to swell .. it used to be used to keep people from talking hence the name "Dumbcane" ..

Marn