California oak gall wasp

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by ngawangchodron, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

Re: the pin oak tree

I have another question about the pin oak. Maybe I should start another thread? But anyway..I planted one about 2 years ago and its growing quite well so far, but I noticed that the pin oak street trees around town are being attacked by the oak gall wasp and their leaves turned all spotty brown- this wasp is I think from California and mostly attacks the garry oaks (it's really hard on the small ones) I'm wondering how likely it is that the pin oak will be attacked by these insects, and what is the usual treatment..I don't want to use a insecticide but will use dormant oil spray if that is effective..or would BT work? Any ideas?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, best to start another thread, perhaps in the forum dealing with pests and diseases.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

Oops, I should have remembered to use the correct botanical name! I was actually talking about the damage from the California oak gall wasp (Andricus californicus), which is moving north into BC - possibly its migration is being speeded up by global warming, some people think..anyway its quite debilitating, especially to the young Quercus garryana trees. So I'm still wondering about how to deal with this pest in a non-toxic way. Thanks

5. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

Once again I am asking about the oak trees, this time, hopefully, with the correct information..which is that the pest attacking the oak trees on Southern Vancouver Island is the Jumping gall wasp (Neuroterus saltarius) and there is also something else attacking them called Oakleaf phylloxeran. Anyone know of anything to deal with the above pests??

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years