sick jade

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by M.E.M, Oct 24, 2006.

1. M.E.M

M.E.M Member

Help! I have a jade plant that was given to me as a child by my now deceased father. It is 30 something years old, and has done fairly well until now. It has been successfully repotted several times during its life. A year ago I repotted it into a jardinaire, that has no drainage. It did well for 6 mos, until I over watered it. It began to droop and then drop leaves and whole branches. All that I have ever done to shape/prune this plant was pinch off all the new buds. It has never had a really "full" shape, and it became leggy. I was told it was time to prune it all the way back. I cut it back to the stem/trunks. Where I did that it shriveled up, became hollow and has a tan powderey almost sandy looking substance inside of the now rotting stems.I am very sad and hope it is not too late to save. Please help! I don't know what to do.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I don't understand. Do you just have a rotten stem sticking out of a pot. It doesn't have a chance if there is nothing to survive.

M.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

If there are any live branches, you might want to take those as cuttings?

4. M.E.M

M.E.M Member

When I originally pruned it, it was firm. Where I cut then began to rot. I cut that off and same thing. all that is sticking out of the soil are rotting stems, yes! The base looks a bit better.Could I remove from soil and check out roots?

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Frankly, your better off dropping a few bucks on another jade. If you keep this one then set it aside and forget about it. It is is going to life then it will put out new growth in the spring, if not....... Don't water until you see the new growth. I suspect that too much water is to blame for your loss.

6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Gosh that was so nicely put.