croton - sick?!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marlaaa, Oct 24, 2006.

1. marlaaa

marlaaa Member

I recently bought a beatiful croton in a rather grown stage, with 17 leaves and now 3 currently growing (3, 7, and 15 mm long). I researched a little and found out it is one of the sorts Gold Dust, Sloppy Painter, or Pectum Spot (they are really alike!)

When I bought it, it was in a really small pot with some strange filling that did not hold any water at all. Besides, the plant's roots were coming from the drainage holes, which to me seemed to be quite a miserable situation. Then the leaves started to droop and one of them got a few tiny spots on its back side where the flesh had dried and shrunk. I decided maybe the pot was too small and the watering too frequent, so i changed both and it got a little better. The only thing bothering me now is that the dry spots on that one leaf appeared on another one too, and all upper leaves curled at the edges.

I've read that fertilizers should not be used during the inactive period, so I don't, and that the plant must be misted daily (the latter i sometimes do twice a day because humidity in my room is rather low). I've also found an article at http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg1220475624603.html?8 and started to suspect that maybe such a repot shock might have gone on with us too - the new pot is really much bigger that the old one (old one was 1/3 of plant's height, new one is almost 1:1). I am only watering now when the soil starts to look dry on the surface. Is it possible that the temperature in the room is too low for it to thrive well?

Please tell me if what i'm doing is right, or else what to do to keep it happy and growing! It is my first plant to grow by myself ever, and I am so fond of its looks! Sadly, my camera batteries are loading just now, but later today I'll upload some images to picturize my story ;)
    Thanks in advance!
    Petya

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

They are notorious for having/getting spider mites, so find some Safer's Soap Spray or something else specific for spider mites, and follow directions on the bottle (after giving the whole thing - on its side so soil isn't soaked - a good spray of water). Do it again in 5-6 days and again a wk. later. Use a wide tray of stones and water under the pot, but don't let the pot touch the water. This will help humidity (s.m's like dryness) and keep it far from other plants til you're sure the problem's gone.

3. marlaaa

marlaaa Member

Thank you, Rima, I got what you advised me to. I also read a bit about pest control for indoor plants, now I can't wait to get other ones to take care of ;)