Planting Indoor Succulents

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by valinpomo, Oct 23, 2006.

1. valinpomo

valinpomo Member

I want to replant some Jade plants and other indoor succulents. I have new containers that do not have any holes in the bottom. What is the best way to plant in these containers & what soil mix should I use for Jades, and other succulents?

Thanking you in advance

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

You simple DO NOT do it. There is no safe way at all, and your plants would be doomed as soon as you plant them. I suggest, if you want to use those pots, drill holes in them for drainage.

No drain holes is bad news for any plant, but it's a death sentence for succulents.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I agree with the previous poster. Use a common masonery bit and drill some holes in the bottom of the container. A little water on the area where you want to drill will help keep the site cool while drilling. I have found some really nice bowls that I have drilled holes into and used as plant containers.

As far as a soil mix. One, there are come commercial "cactus and succulent" mixes out there. Two, you can make your own. Mix vermiculite or perlite, 1-3mm course sand (pool filter sand), bonsai soil, then the rest is up to whatever is available such as a little potting soil, peat, shredded bark, or orchid mix. Throw in a little granular insecticide and fertilizer. I haven't found that any one type of mix works better than another, but the key is excellent drainage and lots of air to the roots. When you water, the soil mix should not stay wet for any longer than a day or you risk the chance of root rot. Succulents are designed to absorb a lot of water quickly and store it into the plant and is why protecting the roots are so vital with this group of plants.

4. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

I just use regular potting soil for the jades... and if the new pots are going to be a temporary deal (i.e., planting clippings until they take root) I put garden stones in the bottom, then the dirt and the new jade... They will be fine for a couple of months, but you water them much LESS than plants in pots with drain holes. (Don't drown the plants, and you don't have to worry about excess moisture in the base of the pot causing mildew/rot for the jades). And your fertilizer of choice.....

If this is a permanent repotting, drill the holes.