Are these little brown flying bugs coming from my plants?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Lorica, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Lorica

Lorica Member

Hello - I have been waging a war against a tiny, round, brown bug with short legs that I call a "drop bug", because sometimes it just drops down, instead of doing the flying which it is capable of doing, when it sees a threat coming. It seems to prefer crawling to flying, as it almost always crawls along a wall or a window pane toward a light source. It does not seem to be attracted to food and it is apparently nocturnal and very attracted to light. Though I see some in the day time, mostly they show up at night on the walls, heading for the nearest light bulb.

It seemed to help to water my indoor plants with soapy water, but they are by no means all gone. I am so reluctant to use an insecticide, but maybe I should?

Any knowledge here greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

3. Lorica

Lorica Member

Thanks for your reply very much. But the bugs I am "bugged" with are round with short legs, not looking at all like the bug in the picture.

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

It could be thrips or brown aphids too. Try looking up pictures of those and compare.

5. Lorica

Lorica Member

Thank you James. Will do.