Identification: Plant ID Help -- My plant and I thank you!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jenn, Sep 27, 2006.

1. jenn

jenn Member

Hi,
    I like the software and the forum seems very active -- I'm thrilled to have found it. I just spent some time flipping through the various "identify my plant" questions, quizzing myself and looking for my plant. I have a plant book and this plant looks similiar to some, but it isn't close enough to any picture to be sure.

I bought it about a month or so ago and for some reason they removed all the tags. The plant thrived, so I repotted in, then it got aphids so I put it outside (its warm here) and sprayed it. Since then it's been isolated, in medium light, watered sensibly.

I need to identify it so I can figure out why it's ailing so. Perhaps I've done it in. You seem like you'll be able to help, I'm not sure it will make it to my local "sick plant clinic". Thanks for the ID!! I'll be able to search plant specfic ailments.

Attached Files:

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Split leaf philodendron?

3. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

I believe Chester is correct; Split Leaf Philodendron Monstera deliciosa. Young plants do not always have the split edges in their leaves as the plant matures the new leaves will generally be larger and begin to show the characteristic perforations and splits. If grown in idea conditions these plants can get very large, 10-15 feet tall with a spread of 6-8 feet.

Light: Bright filtered light with some direct sun in the winter months.
    Temperature: Normal room temperatures, if the room is above 70° you should provide extra humidity. Either spray mist daily or stand the pot in a tray of damp pebbles.
    Water: Sparingly, making sure the potting mixture is barely moist and allow the top third to dry out before watering again.
    Feeding: Standard liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks during active growth.

4. jenn

jenn Member

Great, thanks, now on to decipher the grey brown blightish leaves.