Bonsai Question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Paulina, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    How and why do Bonsai Plants possibly survive in these shallow dishes? A regular plant would either die or get rootbound. Is it because they are cut back so much and all the growing energy goes into the trunk rather than the roots? I'm new at the Bonsai thing... just finished hacking mine down... will see what becomes of it. Here's one in an unbelievably shallow dish. How do they do it?

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/Larchinfo.html

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The roots are regularly pruned, and the trees watered frequently enough to prevent them drying out (can be several times per day in hot weather). It can be done, the clue is intensive care. Any neglect will soon kill them.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Also, the work is done over time, years, and the trees are kept well fertilized, in particular 'soil' mixes (the majority of which are more grit and gravel than soil). Young feeder roots are encouraged (through pruning and other techniques) to grow into a shallow mass of roots up near the trunk, while older woody ones are pruned away. It's not magic, but ending up with a great illusion (of an ancient gnarly tree 1-2' tall) is what it's about.

4. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

I have a few small bonsai, but its hard to keep them happy, I dunk them in water that covers the soil so they get a good soak for 1 hour , at least once a week, but then I'm in England so its not too hot. my best ones are in the garden growing at about a metre high. in larger tubs, they look good to me and are not so much trouble, them we get a lot of rain.

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Tweetie - I have no idea what trees you're growing, but I must tell you that dunking them for an hour once a week is not the way to water anything properly, though I do agree that a decent watering, but possibly less frequently, is a good idea in principle. Tell me what you have, and the kind of soil mix you're growing them in, and maybe I can help you to keep them happier. It sounds to me like you're not really growing bonsai, but just small trees in containers - not the same thing!

6. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

yes i have a weeping fig, bonsia indoors, and it loves my way of watering, in a very shallow container, ist doing really well. the others in the garden are not strictly bonsai but as you say small trees, i have oak, ash, red oak, elder, sweet chesnut, sycamore, maples, ect. i think they look good i let some do their own thing and others i train a little.