Inground Alocasia overwinter?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by palmera, Sep 25, 2006.

1. palmera

palmera Active Member

I have read many mixed reviews about overwintering alocasias/colocasias (EE) in the ground. I would like to know if there is anyone, here on Vanc Isle, who is successfully overwintering in the ground and how are you doing it? Am I being idealistic thinking I can avoid digging? They look great now (pix attached) and are about 5' tall. I'd like them to look even better next summer! Thoughts...

Attached Files:

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

It depends if you're growing a tropical species or not? The hardy ones are OK in zone 8 (or 7b) & warmer, the tropical ones need zone 9 or better. All dislike cold & wet soils during dormancy so using a thick mulch and perhaps with rain protection over the mulch to help keep things a little bit drier would help.

Simon

3. palmera

palmera Active Member

It is an A. macrorrhiza...it should be hardy, my garden is zone 8...but we do have the wet winters. Again, if anyone has done it successfully in my area, I'd love to know about it...

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I've had them overwinter, I mulched heavily with straw and then a layer of maple leaves. Seemed fine. Same with the Colocasia E. doesn't seem to work with the purple/black ones though, not very tough.