Identification: Can Someone Identify My Strange Houseplant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nermal, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Nermal

Nermal Member

I acquired a houseplant about 4 years ago that did not have any identification pertaining to the plant, it was a small stalk around 4 inches tall with elongated pointed shinny leaves. As the plant grew it began to fall over and I supported the stalk with a small stick. The plant began to droop as it reached the top of the stick so I let it do what it wanted to do. Over the course of the years it has grown perhaps 15 feet and vines its way toward the light and then produces a very large flower at the end. The strange thing about this plant is that the vine stem will sever itself but the plant does not die but becomes dormant but fully hydrated. When you place the severed stem in water or moist soil the plant begins to grow again and grows until the stem is severed. I now have many of these plants in our house as I can place them for color without the need for water. Some of the plants have not been watered for over 2 years. I have attached 2 pictures of this plant and would certainly appreciate any input as to what it is, its family, characteristics, etc. Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

looks like tradescantia

3. RuthS

RuthS Member

I am not an expert, but I concur. Wandering Jew was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture.

If you try to kill it, and it won't die, that must be it. :-)

RuthS

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it is a purple heart wandering jew in desperate need of more light .. move to a window that you get morning sun or sun most of the day and you will see a big difference in it .. you can also cut the leggy stems back and replant them in the pot and they will root .. just take the bottom leaves off when you cut it to expose the nodes .. wandering jews are one of the easiest plants to root ..
    oh and please water them .. they need it .. that is why they are not growing to well .. they should be a deep purple .. i will post the pic in the next post ..

Marn

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

here is a pic of mine .. and if i were you i would just make a couple of plants out of all the ones you have ..even if you have to cut them back .. it will make a nice full pot and hang them from a window .. they are hanging plants .. and water atleast once a week .. (they NEED it) :)

Marn

Attached Files:

6. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe it is Tradescantia spathacea, (Moses-in-the-boat/cradle, Three-men-in-a-boat, Oyster Lily) that needs more light. Mine looked like that for a while till I figured it out. I planted some of mine outside in the ground...which grows much differently than those in the house. Don't be surprised if you don't see it flower. I haven't yet. (previously known as Rhoeo spathacea/discolor) The undersides of the leaves turn darker purple with more light.
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trad_spa.cfm
    http://www2.umt.edu/uc/gardens/midnoplnt/rhoeo.htm