Identification: Can anyone tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Prey, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Prey

Prey Member

Hi. I'm new here, and new to indoor plants as well! My older brother died recently and some of the plants that were sent were special to me, so I brought them home to keep them alive. One was a croton (Sp?) Beautiful orange color too. Also a peace lily and then this one I have no idea about. I have no pictures, and can't seem to find it on the internet anywhere. I guess I'll try and describe it the best I can.

The leaves aren't oval shaped or long, kind of inbetween, kind of like a magnolia tree's leaves. They're a very dark green, and glossy and thick. The plant itself is about a foot and a half tall and very vertical, not bushy. the most distinguishing thing about it is that on alot of the leaves, near the stem they have patches of pink and some yellow, some leaves even have the colors covering about half the leaf itself. Along the same patterns, on the underside of the leaf, they are deep red and blotchy.

Any tips on caring for these as well? These are the first plants I've ever owned. Thanks in advance!

-Heather

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Very hard to tell without pictures.

3. Prey

Prey Member

Well, I've been looking and looking on the internet and the closest thing I've found is this: http://spb-flowers.listsoft.ru/img/17_bigshot.jpg

It's very similar only the leaves are less thick, slightly more elongated and are more crumpled and folded a little. She shape of the plant and the way the leaves are arranged are almost exactly the same though.

Oh and the leaves are roughly three inches long and an inch and a half wide on average, but they vary slightly.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Have you looked up the Crotons? They have lots of colors even on one leaf sometimes, like someone had splashed paint on them.

5. Prey

Prey Member