Indoor Elephant Ear plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mityone54, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mityone54

Mityone54 Member

I just purchased some indoor elephant ear plants and the leaves immediately started turning yellow..........Any suggestions at what this could mean?........

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Your location is colder than where it was living, hotter, brighter, and/or you've given it too much water (or else not enough). Sorry, not a lot to go on.

3. Mityone54

Mityone54 Member

Well, we have them near the windows and we watered them.But, I don't know if it was too much water or not enough.........I am told that they need to be transplanted into bigger pots with better drainage........And that I need to give them vitamin B-1..
    any more suggestions.My wife will die if they die.........HELP...........

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The myth of vitamin B1

Why do you believe it might be a drainage issue (I'm not saying it's not, but a bit more info on how wet the soil is and the current drainage would be helpful)?

5. Mityone54

Mityone54 Member

I don't know if is a drainage issue.......I asked this gardening person at a nursey and he suggested that........But, I just transplanted them into bigger pots so, I hope that helps...........

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

Yellowing often means a plant's been overwatered, which is probably why he asked. I'm not sure what a larger pot will achieve (unless it was rootbound anyway), but if you'd added a bunch of grit or small gravel to the mix it would have helped it to drain more quickly when you do water. I hope you're not leaving the pot sitting in drain water - that'll rot the roots faster than anything.

7. picotine

picotine New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I also have an indoor Elephant plant and I was having similar problem and also when a new leaf would grow one other would turn brown and die off. I found out that they cannot be in direct sunlight. Since I moved it to another room where it gets only filtered sunlight it has quadrupled in size and has many many leaves. Good Luck

Charlene