Identification: Is this a small caladium & is it dying?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MDNemec, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MDNemec

MDNemec Member

1. I was given this small plant and assumed it was a caladium (please correct me if I am wrong!).

2. I have only had it for about a month and when I received it, it was super healthy. The leaves were a pretty green/pink, stood up very straight and tall, and from the picture you can see there are still many new leaves waiting to open up. In the past week, almost overnight, the leaves have begun turning yellow and drooping. I assumed I had overwatered it, so I gently dug it up to check the roots for rot and the roots look fine.

* although there are only a few yellow leaves in the pic, I have already removed about 10 of them!

The plant is kept indoors at about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I water once the soil feels slightly moist/dry and the plant sits on my bedside table. Although there is very little light in the room during the day, it does receive light from the lamp sitting on the table in the evenings. Any tips on how I can save it would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

it is an arrowhead vine, and it looks like it needs water, and it looks like its in wrong lighting....try indirect light

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I agree it is a arrowhead vine and it does need water that is why it is slumping over .. and it realy needs more sunlight ..

Marn

4. MDNemec

MDNemec Member

Thanks for your help and the quick response so I could water ASAP. He's already starting to perk up.

In retrospect, I find it amusing that in the picture I attached, the plant is sitting next to a bottle of water...maybe it's trying to reach over and get some ;)

5. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Definitely needs better light. Not direct sunlight but strong indirect sun is best. Incandescent light bulbs do not provide the nutrients that plants receive from the sun. Fluorescents are fine for some situations, seedlings and plants smaller than about 8" but if you want to grow larger plants away from a sun source you need to provide them with a specialty bulb called a grow light. These bulbs provide the lumens necessary for plant growth.