Ghost plant help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by fizzbomb, Sep 16, 2006.

1. fizzbomb

fizzbomb Active Member

I picked up a small "ghost plant" (Graptopetalum paraguayense, I think) at Wal-Mart, first one I've ever had. It was doing okay (not great, kind of leggy, but nothing too drastic) until this morning when the cat knocked it off the room divider where it normally sits. The main stem is broken, most of the leaves are broken off.

Is there any chance of saving it and HOW???

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

If there are any leaves still on the main stem that is attached to the roots I think it will sprout a new top. Also, you can take the old top, and plant it in some cactus/succulent soil, and forget about it for a few months. It should sprout new roots for you.

3. fizzbomb

fizzbomb Active Member

What is "cactus/succulent soil"? I live in a very rural area of Kansas and the nearest garden center is 60 miles away...

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Ok. Just about any place that sells plants (like where you got your ghost plant) will sell it. Basically is very sandy potting mix. Succulents (like your plant) hate wet roots, so the soil is meant to drain very quickly. In a pinch you could mix what every potting mix you have 50/50 with sand. Not the best, but has work for many people for many years.

5. fizzbomb

fizzbomb Active Member

Thanks so much. I'll have to try the potting soil / sand mixture for the time being. I love this little guy and the cat is in the doghouse....