Small red millepede in my Meyer lemon soil?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by epicureangirl, Sep 14, 2006.

1. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Today when I was cleaning up leaves etc. on the top of the soil in my potted meyer lemon tree, I saw 2 reddish millipede looking insects scurrying through the soil. They were only about 1 cm. long and 1-2mm thick and moved quickly, appearing to be millepede-like from the way they moved. Sorry I cannot capture it in a photo, nor am I quick enough to grab one of these things.

Anyone know what these might be and if they pose a threat to my lemon tree? If these things cause problems I'd rather take care of it now than have a sick Meyer on my hands.

Many thanks.

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Millipedes may not harm lemon plant. Normally they feed on decomposing matter in soil, I beleive.

3. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

I'm not actually sure if it is a millepede. I don't know much about insects, but after reading about millepedes I was wondering if the 'decomposing plant matter' could indicate rotting roots? I think I'll have to pull my plant out of the pot this weekend and see how it's doing.

Many thanks.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It was probably a centipede that you saw. Most, if not all, of the citrus trees from Monrovia that I've bought seem to come with some in the soil. They're generally considered to be beneficial. I do try to remove the odd one that I encounter but I'm not concerned if I don't catch it. They usually stay in the container.

Here is some information on this creature.

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Beneficicial creature....throw in compost..shouldnt harm plants

6. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Thank you for all the great information, yes, it does sound more like a centipede. Also, this Meyer was from Monrovia too, so I can rest easy knowing it is not out to kill my plant. They're so small, I doubt I'd get anywhere trying to catch them so I'll let them be.

Cheers.