Identification: Hi: This plant has got to have a botanical name, do you know it?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rose655, Sep 13, 2006.

1. rose655

rose655 Member

Hello: I've been everywhere posting pictures of this plant and no one seems to know the botanical name. Here in the south, one person called it "Cleopatra's earings" cute, but not likely it's name. The plant I'm growing many of is up to 12 inches across, dark green, and maroon in the center. It has a tiny bloom which is pink just before it turns into a new plant like a spider/airplane plant. I believe this is a houseplant, as I've never tried to leave it out during winter. I live in zone 7 and it does freeze here. Don't know why no one seems to identify it. I'd like to pot some of the new starts, and give them as gifts with their name and origin. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Chlorophytum major??? Found the above in the Flora of China under Diuranthera also on line as C. majus, or D. majus. Niether are listed in the GRIN database within a search for Chlorophytum so might be something completely different. Also on-line under the name Hardy Spiderplant. The pictures appeared similar in any case. Harry

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Are the flowers white and fragrant? If so, how about Callisia fragrans, Basketplant?

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

im pretty sure this plant is called a Grandpas Pipe.. buti cant find it anywere in google .. i was given a pic of this plant to put in my houseplant database on another forum so i remember this plant ..

keep searching google for info.. i dont have any in my datatbase about it ..

Marn

5. rose655

rose655 Member

Thanks all, I went to the links you supplied but to no avail. It could be Grandpas Pipe, as well as what they call it here which is Cleopatra's Earings but those must be just fun names. I'm going to name it pure frustration!!!! I've got pictures going to a University in Pa. and many other places besides here. It will be interesting to see which site will ID this plant. I really like it alot and it is very tough. When a new sprout drops off of it's limb and there's any dirt on my concrete, it will root. I'm not kidding. I would've thought it would have been as popular as a spider/airplane plant. Thanks again tho.
    Rose. PS flowers not fragrant and ever sooooo tiny.

6. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

It is Callisia fragrans, the other name: Spironema fragrans is outdated. I have a variegated varietry too of this plant.

7. rose655

rose655 Member

Thank you so much Nandan. I was so sure that this plant was in the Chlorophytum family (spider/airplane) type. I found a better description of it under the Spironema fragrans-- guess the site I visited didn't know of the new name Callisia fragrans. Well after some time I now know. I'd love to see the variegated variety also. Could you tell me where I could get one? Here in the US of course. Thanks again,

Rosemarie

8. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Callisia does not belong to Chlorophytum family. Chlorophytum belongs to Liliaceae family. Where as Callisia is of Commelinaceae family, the family of Wandering Jew, Tradescantia etc. Well since I am from India, I do not know where you will get a variegated variety. I am having it. Please see the photo attached.

Attached Files:

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

'Melnickoff' is the variegated cultivar of Callisia fragrans. Glasshouse Works has it listed as 'Melnikoff'.

10. rose655

rose655 Member

Oh wow, went to the Glasshouse Works and I believe I'll be spending a lot as the prices are very reasonable. Thanks Jungle.

Thanks also again Nandan, I will definately have the variegated "Melnickoff" The picture you sent is very good which makes it easy to identify. These are such easy plants to grow.

11. bigbobbear

bigbobbear Member

I have had this plant for over 35 years and just found out today what it is called. Callisia Fragrans. I sent a cutting to a man who does the garden at the Audubon House in Key West. It took him just 2 weeks to figure it out.