Help My Pony Tail Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jen93, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jen93

jen93 Member

My partner recently brought me home a new pony tail palm. This is my first experience with this type of plant. I have read the maintenence instructions on the attached tag, but it doesn't seem to be responding to care.

The tag suggests I let it go completely dry before watering it, over the past 3 months I have only watered it about once every 2 weeks, and this past week the leaves have begun to turn brown and this morning I noticed one of the chutes of leaves is actually falling off, also the trunk is soft at the base and it feels like there is a large void space between the bark and the inner part of the trunk.

I live in Ontario Canada, i've noticed that most owners of this plant who have posted comments on this site, reside in the southern states, is location my problem, is this normal activity for this type of plant in the fall, it is currently planted in rocks, would it do better in soil, how can I save this plant???

I am completely in love with this type of plant! I would hate be the cause of one dying!, Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jen

2. Monk

Monk Member

Is it getting enough light and warmth? How about humidity? Misting it once a day sure wouldn't hurt. Also, don't water on a schedule. Water it whenthe soil feels like it needs it. You may not be watering enough in order to try and avoid watering too much.

Richard

3. jen93

jen93 Member

Thank you for replying so quickly!
    The trouble is, the pot it is in right now is very enclosed, and the plant is sitting in rocks, it is very difficult fot me to tell when it actually needs water, can I replant it in soil (thus making it easier for me to check it for feding) or should i wait until it bounces back to do so?

Thanks again!
    Jen

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi Jen (got your PM) - I don't know what you mean by the 'pot is enclosed' but if there's no large drain hole(s) that is a huge problem as any water going in will rot the roots at the bottom. Rocks is good, but do you mean large rocks or small pebbles (small is better) - and ... NO soil? What I'd do re watering is just not do it until my daily observation of the plant says that the leaves are looking a bit tired and droopy, then I'd water, and eventually get an idea of when it's needed (less often in winter, of course). What worries me though is that you said the bark is loose, separated from the inner wood (or whatever's in a pony tail!) and that's a really bad sign, likely fatal, though I hope you're not confusing the outer sheaths with 'bark', because that would be no big deal - maybe it's just ready to shed a layer. It's hard to say what's what without being there, but it basically needs to be treated like a succulent - more should be dry than othewise before watering, but if there's NO soil in the pot to hold any, or any nutrients (big rocks only) then it almost might as well not be in there at all. I would certainly add small handfuls (Schultz Cactus - any supermkt or garden ctre) as 1/3 of a 2/3 mix of small pebbles. And the most light you can give it all day of course.

5. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

definately get in in soil,i have one in my yard and it is doing great.the only thing that bothers me is that you mentioned a shoot of leaves,are you sure its not a yucca plant,i havent seen one with mutiple shoots before,the bases a a ponytail are hugh compared to the trunk,and a void feeling is probably a sever lack of water.if planted in rocks only, water will dry up very fast and will need watering a lot more often.if you could submit a pic would help

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

(Jen93)
    I agree with Rima. The fleshy part of the bulbous trunk stores water. If this pulp have collapsed down, it may be due to prolonged drought (unlikely since you do wter frequently), or root rot. I agree that it does not sound too good. To determine if it's time to water the plant, I squeeze the bulbous part of the stem. If I start to feel a "give" in the normally turgid bulb, it's time to water.

(Jen93)

I must say I still can't visuallise exactly how it is planted. Is it grown only n rocks? Is it that the container is amongst rocks? Is it out doors or is it indoors.

(toutlan)

Yes, they can have multiple branches. New stems can sprout from anywhere along the stem. "Branching" can be induced by pruning off the tip of the main trunk.

7. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

W.G.,
    wow,never new that they could do that,is there a way to force a new sprout?topping doesnt seem like a good idea.

8. llbass

llbass Member

Hi,
    I don't have a response to this thread, but a question for all the pony tail experts. I planted a containerized pony tail palm about 10 years ago next to my house. It is now 25 feet tall and is doing very well. My dilema...How big is the root system? Will it get under the house foundation and cause damage? The base is about 3 feet in diameter. Thanks in advance for any information.

9. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

holy cow,25 feet,thats hugh,as palm trees go,root balls arent very big and consist of many small roots havent ya seen them on trucks?especially here in florida. usually about 3 times as big as trunk.shouldnt be a prob

10. llbass

llbass Member

Thanks so much. Come to think of it I have seen palms on trucks. When I planted it it was just about a foot at the base and I had no idea it would get this big. The base is about 6 inches from the house. I was reading that they can get to 12 feet across and it kind of concerned me. I planted it in a rock garden next to the entrance to my back patio. It creates a great view from my 2nd story window! This year was the first time it has bloomed. It is very happy in the location! Again, thanks for such a quick response!

11. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

would love to see a pic of it,if you can

12. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

hey there ....
    everything ive read on this says that it need to be waterd very seldomly.... like nce every3 or someitmes 4 weeks depending on how warm it gets. it sounds like it needs a bigger pot also in dirt. You can use normal potting soil but remember its from mexican deserts.

13. Rima

Rima Active Member

Toutian - Up here where it snows x 8 mos of the year (or at least gets really, really cold) we cannot just plant it outside!