My philo needs help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by abonneau, Sep 12, 2006.

1. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

My Heartleaf Philodendron (Philodendron scandens) is about 2 years old and has about 5-7 leaves that are dying. See pictures 1 and 2. BUT it's only from the SAME stem, no other stem has that problem. See pic 3, the philo seems prety good, no?

1. What does that kind of problem means. Yellow means too much water, brown means too little? I see both colour on those leaves!!! I'm soooo mixed up!

2. Since it's not the entire plant, do I simply remove the stem that has leaves that are dying?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Cut the stem off and cross your fingers! You'll have to be the judge of anything else, but as with the ficus, check to be sure it's not time to repot, and keep it out of direct sun.

3. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks! I will cut the stem... crossed my finger and hope everything will be allright! ;-)

4. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

cutting dead or dying growth off is the norm with philos,but i would say repotting wouldnt hurt at all,especially if it been there awhile.could be root bound.philos grow well and cuttings can be put in soil and propagated very easily,just keep soil wet for a week or so.

5. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks. It was in a way smaller pot but I changed it last march. Do you think I should do it again?

As for propagation, I did it last year, I had three stems that I rooted in water and then put in a container for about 3 months, then I transfered them with the 'mother' plant when I repooted it in march. The stem I have problem with is one of them... so I guess I have to closely watch the other 2 in case something similar happens...

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

the roots may have just gotten damaged while potting or just are not growing enough to keep the plant going .. i wouldnt worry to much about it if it just the one stem ..
    and if you just repotted the plant last march then i wouldnt worry about repotting again right away .. wait till next spring and chek it again ..

Marn

7. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks Marn. I'll remove the stem and will let it be.

I'll check the root next spring.

8. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

BAD NEWS...

Unfortunately, it is not just on stem... it's a bunch of leaves around the same region of the plant. (2 stems side-by-side)

It "may" be sun damage? Or is it du to lack or too much water? Can someone relook at the picture in the middle and tell me if it's also du to water or fertilizer?

First thing I did this morning is moving the plant where I am sure there's no direct sun. It's hard to find a bright, indirect sunlight tho, so it may have to stay in a less bright place until I find it a new spot. The plant has been there 1.5 years and always did good... even if it was place near a western window and did have some direct sunlight. Maybe it decided it had enough sun... ;-)

9. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

I just thought of something... my philo is just hanging, in the sense that I didn't train it so the aerial roots hang on something. I let them stem grow until they hit the floor and then train it so they go back up. Not sure if I’m explaining this right…

Is this a bad idea? Maybe the plant is too heavy now?

10. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

first no that is not a bad idea to train it to go all over .. they look really cool that way .. mayb lift that end of the plant and check to make sure that that part did not get pulled up out of the pot some how .. i dont think that is from sun at .. it mayb not enough dirt around the roots ..

Marn