potting ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by d.jane, Sep 7, 2006.

1. d.jane

d.jane Member

i have a ponytail palm i bought 3-4 months ago. it had offsets so i repotted them to different pots. my question is ~~> how far down does the bulb need to be in the soil? all of the offsets are planted to where the bulb is almost covered up by soil. ~~> Should i plant them so the bulb is on top of the soil??? The plants are growing indoors with indirect sunlight and are doing great.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

3/4 in the soil.

3. chicklam

chicklam Member

I have been potting some ponytail palm plants. They all have very little roots, and I don't think they should not be planted too deep into the soil. I find that 2 inches is deep enough for a 10 inch plant.

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It really depends on what is more esthetically pleasing to you - i.e., how you want it to look.

I personally prefer to be able to see as much of the bulb as possible. Which means that I plant only as deep as sufficient to have the roots covered. All of the ponytails in my house are planted with an average of about 1/8 to 1/4 of the height of the bulbous trunk covered, just like the two in the picture in this article. This may be important if you have yours in a breakable container. As the plant grows, the "bulb" will expand in size, eventually cracking the container.

This is probably fine for container and indoors culture. When planted outside, however, it probably needs to go deeper for better stability.