Arbutus: Arbutus pruning

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by BrianR, Sep 4, 2006.

1. BrianR

BrianR Member

WE are on an oceanside lot facing NW on Vancouver Island. We have numerous Arbutus and are wondering about the best time of year to prune a number of branches overhanging our deck on the West.
    Thanks

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

BrainR

I'm just down the highway from you in Lantzville. Now is about as late a time as you should prune your Arbutus, before the Autumn rain begins. You could use pruning paint on the cuts, but it's black, tar-like and not very nice visually.

Cheers, LPN.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

LPN, out of curiosity, why do you suggest the pruning paint?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I "suggest" for the following reasons outlined on the label.

...an all-weather, asphalt based paint that provides a protective seal on tree wounds. It prevents excessive sap flow, rotting or insect invasion during the time required for new growth to completely close over the wound.

This would be a measure beyond most of my experience. I've use pruning paint very few times in my 25 years of gardening. Arbutus seems prone to a canker causing fungus, Nattrassia magniferae. Poor pruning habits may contribute to this problem.

Cheers, LPN.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

LPN, I would advise per the ISA website, treesaregood.com

"Wound Dressings

Wound dressings were once thought to accelerate wound closure, protect against insects and diseases, and reduce decay. However, research has shown that dressings do not reduce decay or speed closure and rarely prevent insect or disease infestations. Most experts recommend that wound dressings not be used. If a dressing must be used for cosmetic purposes, then only a thin coating of a nontoxic material should be applied. "

as per the specific fungus issue to Arbutus, if it works, go for it, if it is unknown, dont bother. Better pruning habits / methods may prove as/more beneficial to reducing infection.

6. BrianR

BrianR Member

thanks all