Banana help?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by guiswim, Sep 3, 2006.

1. guiswim

guiswim Member

I bought a six inch banana tree from a local plant nursery, and it has been growing for probably two or three months now, planted on a corner of my house. I don't know how big it will get, so I don't know if where I planted it is open enough. I was told that once it had 21 leaves it would bear fruit. I don't know what kind of banana tree it is, or how I should take care of it to help it grow faster. The ...pseudostem? is reddish and the leaves have a red stripe down the centers, and a very small red line around the edges of the leaves.
    Also, it is starting to grow another stem, and I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Should I separate the stem from the original one, or should I hope for more stems? And with the 21 leaves until fruit, is that overall leaves, or just on one stem? The main stem has 7 leaves, the little one on the side has 3. Anyone's help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

it seems to me that it is a miniature variety only reaching about 5-6 feet.. and go ahead and leave the small shoot on the side, because they will naturally take over a small area

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Looks a little Ensete like, as the leaves look quite thick.