What are these little flies on my house plants?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by honey, Sep 2, 2006.

1. honey

honey Member

Hi I am new to this forum but love learning about indoor and outdoor plants.
    I seem to have a problem with 2 of my new house plants. There are little fly type things hanging around them and I really don't know what to do about them???
    Could I have some advice please?
    Thanks.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably fungus gnats. Fairly harmless, though distracting to have them around. Let the soil dry out more between waterings.

3. honey

honey Member

Thanks michael, yes they are annoying to have around !!! I will leave them dry out more between waterings. I usually water every third day maybe i'll leave it for 5 or 6 days and see if this helps. Thanks.

4. ngawangchodron

ngawangchodron Member

I have gotten rid of the annoying fungus gnats by mulching the tops of the soil with extremely small grit (like one would use for alpine plant beds), combined with less water. I think that the fungus gnats like the soil to hang out in. Some potting soils, even sterilized ones seem to have more attraction to the fungus gnats thatn others, so you might like to keep track of what soil you've been using.